We had a fantastic time away at GETAWAY 2017. It was a weekend full of great food, friends, and time for reflection on what it means to walk in the Holy Spirit and what it means to be a mature follower of Jesus.
The notes from Garry Fess' first session called "Life In The Spirit" is below:
LIFE IN THE SPIRIT
John 14:15-17, 25-27; 16:4-15, Romans 12:6-8
What Does Life In The Spirit Look Like?
KEY: The Holy Spirit was given to enable Christ followers to live a Kingdom Life
THE HOLY SPIRIT AS A PERSON
The Holy Spirit is not some vague, ethereal being or an impersonal force. The Holy Spirit is a person.
Characteristics of Personhood:
“who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.” 1 Corinthians 2:11
“And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.” Romans 8:27
“And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Ephesian 4:30
“All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.” 1 Corinthians 12:11
The Holy Spirit Acts Like A Person:
He Speaks - Revelation 2:7, Acts 13:2
He Teaches - John 14:26
He Witnesses - John 15:26, Romans 8:16
He Guides - Romans 8:14, John 16:13
He Convicts - John 16:7-8
He Commands - Acts 8:29
He Helps - Romans 8:26
He Reaches Out To Sinners - Genesis 6:3
The Holy Spirit Is Regarded As A Person
¥ He Can Be Lied To - Acts 5:3
¥ He Can Be Resisted - Acts 7:51
¥ He Can Be Grieved - Ephesians 4:30
¥ He Can Be Quenched - 1 Thessalonians 5:19
¥ He Can Be Insulted - Hebrews 10:29
¥ He Can Be Blasphemed - Matthew 12:31
¥ He Can Be Obeyed - Acts 10:19-21
This person of The Holy Spirit desires to have relationship with us!
- to be involved in our everyday lives…
How do we develop a relationship with the person of the Holy Spirit?
How do we develop relationship with people?
- Spend time with them, be open to developing a relationship
- Talk with them, Listen to them, Be influenced by them (value their thoughts and opinions, take advice and receive help from them)
- Same is true as we develop a relationship with the person of the Holy Spirit
- We walk in relationship with the Holy Spirit and allow Him to influence our lives - “walk by the Spirit” (Galatians 5:16) - “keep in step” with the Spirit
- A constant “yielding” ourselves to the Holy Spirits leading
THE HOLY SPIRIT GIVES US…
We have been given “another Helper” – paracletos – one who comes and stands alongside
- we are never alone - John 14:16
- “He dwells in you and will be in you” - John 14:17
- The Holy Spirit constantly brings comfort and strength which gives us confidence to live the Christian life
- Holy Spirit gives peace – John 14:27 – We don’t have to be afraid of what life brings because the Holy Spirit calms our fears and brings peace
- Practical - The Holy Spirit gives confidence (comfort, strength, peace
- The Holy Spirit is like having Jesus with us all the time
The Holy Spirit brings clarity to life’s questions as we follow His leading in our lives
The Holy Spirit Guides Us - John 16:13-14
- The Holy Spirit guides us into all truth
- The Holy Spirit speaks on behalf of Jesus
- The Holy Spirit will give us the resources of Jesus
- The Holy Spirit reveals Christ - makes the Kingdom real to us(John 14:16-17)
The Holy Spirit Teaches Us - John 14:26, John 16:14
- The Holy Spirit will teach you all things
- The Holy Spirit will bring to your remembrance things Jesus has taught
- The Holy Spirit will give you the power to live out the principles of the kingdom
• The Holy Spirit Exhorts Us – John 16:8
- The Holy Spirit convicts us concerning sin and righteousness
- The Holy Spirit encourages us to do what is right
- The Holy Spirit wants to release God’s gifts in your life. He wants you to use what He has given you to bless others
- The Holy Spirit is a creative force (ex creation) that resides in us. We need to allow the creativity of the Holy Spirit touch our minds and heart
- Follower of Jesus are gifted by God’s grace – Romans 12:6
- God wants us to develop and use the gifts He has given us – Romans 12:6-8
How To Cultivate Daily Fellowship With The Holy Spirit
- Develop a sensitivity to the Holy Spirit
- Cultivate fellowship with the Holy Spirit through conversation
- Grow in fellowship with the Holy Spirit by reading the scriptures
- Grow in intimacy with the Holy Spirit through prayer
- Increase your friendship with the Holy Spirit by developing a passion for Him
- Partner with the Holy Spirit in ministry
1. Why do people struggle to view the Holy Spirit as a person? How does this effect their relationship with God?
2. What can we do personally to develop our relationship with the Holy Spirit?
3. Sight practical examples of how the Holy Spirit can help us in our every day living.
4. Making decisions in life can be difficult. How can the Holy Spirit help us in making decisions? How can the Holy Spirit clarify our decision making?
5. Discuss how the creativity of the Holy Spirit can impact your everyday life.