In week four of our series on the Bible called THE BOOK OF STRANGE NEW THINGS, we looked at what the Bible is for. Paul, when mentoring his young protege Timothy, shares what the scripture is for and how it shapes our lives as the Jesus community. It is also apparent that when the Spirit is at work in the life of the church, people continually speak Scripture. It goes hand in hand. Listen below:
This week we started through the book of Leviticus! Leviticus is an interesting book. It may seem out there, but it does have significant importance in the biblical story. Check out the primer to Leviticus below:
This week we started reading through the book of Exodus together. Below are two video primers for the book that will help bring context as you read!
On Sunday, five incredible people from our church shared on the drama of scripture. Each took a scene in the biblical narrative and shared about its significance in the story.
Listen to "The Drama of Scripture" here:
On Sunday, February 12th we continued in our series on the Bible called THE BOOK OF STRANGE NEW THINGS. We looked at how the Bible was written by humans and inspired by God. Listen to the teaching below:
Dr. Tim Mackie gives a lecture on the making of the Bible. Watch below:
On Sunday we began our series THE BOOK OF STRANGE NEW THINGS. Over this series we are looking at what the Bible is, where it came from and how we read it most effectively.
Listen to Week 1 here!
Over the course of our series THE BOOK OF STRANGE NEW THINGS we will be offering mid-week lectures on a wide-range of biblical topics for you to engage in. We encourage you to watch these in your Community Groups or as individuals.
This week's lecture is title "What I Wish Everyone Would Do When Reading The Bible" by Dr. Scot McKnight.
On Sunday we started walking through the Bible together. Below is a fantastic video from the guys at the Bible Project highlighting Genesis 1-11.
This weekend we start a year long journey through the bible together. Not only are we going to read together, but this page will be a place where you can get some extra insight to the different books and genres of the Bible.
Here are four things you can do this year:
1. Gather Sundays For Our Series The Book of Strange New Things (February 5 - March 19)
2. Read Through The Bible With Us (starting February 5 - end of January 2018)
- download the Read Scripture app from the iTunes or Android app stores
- set your start date for February 5th
- read everyday and watch the theme and book videos provided throughout the year
3. As You Read Through The Bible Get Extra Insight On This Page At www.cityview.cc/bible
- watch videos from the Bible Project on the major themes and books of the bible
- get extra insight on the different themes and genres of the bible throughout the year
4. Watch Mid-week Lectures From scholars and Theologians At www.cityview.cc/biblelectures
- every week throughout The Book of Strange New Things we are going to provide a mid-week lecture to supplement your learning
- we encourage you to watch these lectures in your Community Groups or as individuals
- Wednesday, February 8th - What I Wish Ever Person Would Do When Reading Bible by Scot McKnight
- Wednesday, February 15th - Canonization by Tim Mackie
- Wednesday, February 22nd - Human Origins by John Walton
- Wednesday, March 1st - Violence and Genocide in the OT by Joshua Butler
- Wednesday March 8th - Wisdom Literature in the OT by Tremper Longman
- Wednesday, March 15th - The Problem of Evil by Gerry Breshears
- Wednesday, March 22nd - “Who Is Jesus” by Scot McKnight
- Wednesday, March 29th - The Early Church & Politics by Tim Mackie